Health & Safety

Travelers are not alone and have the benefit of considerable assistance twenty-four hours a day.

There are a number of resources and networks in place through Northeastern University that provide support and assistance when an individual is facing a challenge while traveling, regardless of how large or small the situation may be.

Northeastern Travelers must be aware of local emergency numbers and contact information of their nearest embassy or consulate in the destination country or region.  Travelers should contact the local emergency services of the destination country when presented with a life threatening emergency.  The following Northeastern resources are able to help or direct you to the appropriate assistance:

  • Northeastern University Police Department (NUPD) 24/7 Dispatch Line: Emergency Number +1.617.373.3333 or Non-Emergency +1.617.373.2121.
  • WorldAware Operation Center: +1.312.470.3108. Please call the WorldAware phone number if you need immediate assistance. WorldAware can help find local hospitals and provide basic travel assistance.
  • WeCare: Office number during Boston Campus business hours +1.617.373.4384 or via email If you would like to contact a member of the We Care team directly, please check out the Our Team page for contact information.
  • University Health and Counseling Services (UHCS): Office number during Boston Campus business hours +1.617.373.2772 or via
  • Office of Gender Equity and Compliance (OGEC): Office number during Boston Campus business hours +1.617.373.4644. Title IX complaints can also be submitted online or via email  The office of Gender Equality and Compliance addresses issues surrounding Title IX prohibited offenses, such as sexual harassment, sexual assault, stalking, intimate partner violence, domestic violence, and gender-based harassment that occurs anywhere members of the Northeastern community travel.
  • Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion (OIDI): Office numbers during Boston Campus business hours +1.617.373.2133, fax +1.617.373.4146 and email


Becoming ill while traveling in a foreign country can be frightening.  The university’s medical assistance provider can help you identify suitable medical facilities and in some destinations find a physician who can come to your accommodations.  This service is available 24/7 by calling the WorldAware hotline +1.312.470.3108.  Please note: it may take time for the operator to find suitable facilities.  Therefore, we recommend you predetermine which medical facilities will best serve your particular medical needs before you leave campus.

Take the following steps:

  • Check your personal insurance coverage with your carrier and specifically identify whether or not you are covered while traveling abroad. Ask for advice on medical care while traveling.
  • If your insurance policy does not cover you abroad, you may wish to consider purchasing a short-term health insurance policy that does. The US State Department offers some information here.
  • If you have a pre-existing medical condition, carry a letter from your primary healthcare provider describing the condition and any prescription medicines you are currently taking. These should include generic names for these medicines.
  • Email NUPD ISO ( to learn about different medical options in your destination.

Contact NUPD at the non-emergency number +1.617.373.2121 or emergency number +1.617.373.3333, local law enforcement, WorldAware and/or your embassy or consulate. When a traveler is the victim of a crime overseas, he or she may suffer from physical, emotional or financial injuries. It can be more difficult because the victim may be in unfamiliar surroundings, and may not know the local language or customs.The University offers these resources and is available to assist 24/7.

Immediately ask to speak with a representative from the nearest embassy or consulate of your country of citizenship if you are arrested for any reason. Locations of U.S. Embassies may be found on their website. Embassy information worldwide for all travelers may be found at