Northeastern has partnered with a network of travel support vendors in order to provide access to the necessary information, tools, and assistance our community may need when undertaking university-sponsored travel.
The Travel Support Network consists of security, medical assistance, and travel support vendors with capabilities that span the globe, making assistance accessible wherever your educational experiences may take you. These services are available to students, faculty, and staff on university travel. Below you will find information about each of our partners.
Notice: The services below replace the WorldAware services and Worldcue mobile app as of September 1st, 2020.
If you have any questions or need additional information, please do not hesitate to reach out to the International Safety Office at email@example.com
The Collinson Group
While traveling, we know that unexpected medical emergencies may arise. In fact, over 90% of our assistance calls are for medical needs. You may have woken up with a sore throat while studying abroad in Italy or may have tripped while conducting research in rural Panama, and don’t know what to do next. Simply contact the international assistance hotline at +1 857 214 5332 to be connected directly with our medical assistance provider, the Collinson Group. Collinson’s assistance services are available 24/7/365. They employ teams of doctors and nurses across locations both in the UK and Ireland led by a Global Medical Director. Calls are triaged directly by a team of 90 assistance staff.
How does this service work?
- University travelers should contact the international assistance hotline at +1 857 214 5332 if assistance is required for health, safety, or travel-related issues.
- If it is a life-threatening emergency, please contact local emergency services first. If you are unsure of how to do so or have questions about response capabilities of these services, contact the hotline for guidance.
- This is not a travel agency. For issues regarding travel arrangements, you will likely need to contact the airline, hotel, or travel agency where you booked.
- Upon calling the dedicated Northeastern hotline (+1 857 214 5332), a Collinson Group operator will ask for your contact information, location, and the nature of your call.
- Please be as descriptive as possible when communicating your location, as well as the type of assistance you require.
- The operator will triage your call and will provide guidance or will begin creating an action plan.
- The Collinson Group will arrange medical care if needed and serve as a case manager for medical cases until assistance is no longer required.
- If the nature of the call involves a safety/security matter, your call may be transferred to our security partner, Crisis24, a GardaWorld company. See below for more information about Crisis24.
- If the incident involves both medical and security concerns, both partners may work together to assist.
- For any miscellaneous issues, such as Northeastern-specific information, your call may be transferred to a Northeastern University contact.
- In addition to urgent health and safety matters, the Collinson Group can also discuss pre-travel health information such as vaccination requirements, and can also provide some travel assistance services (emergency translation, cash transfer, passport replacement information, etc.) during travel.
- Please note that the International Safety Office and Risk Services will be notified of your call to help facilitate assistance and connect you with appropriate university contacts when follow up is needed. Information will be shared only on a need to know basis and will be treated with discretion.
- This also applies to calls involving any matters related to discrimination, (including but not limited to sexual harassment, sexual assault, domestic violence, sexual exploitation, stalking, discriminatory harassment and/or disparate treatment), as the hotline is a service of the university and is not exempt from the university’s mandated reporting requirements.
Crisis24, a GardaWorld Company
GardaWorld is the largest privately-owned security services company in the world. Crisis24, a GardaWorld Company, is their travel security division and is the security assistance provider within the university’s Travel Support Network.
With their globally located assets and local knowledge, they are an invaluable partner in times of crisis. They also provide global intelligence to keep travelers up-to-date on risks at their destination and manage the university’s travel registry technology and mobile application.
GardaWorld Travel Security Platform and Mobile Application (Also known as My Travel Plans)
The GardaWorld Travel Security platform and its mobile component, the GardaWorld Travel Security app allows travelers to enter important itinerary and contact information, research destinations, watch travel safety training videos and receive email alerts about current events in countries of interest. Utilizing your Northeastern credentials, you have access to this information at any time.
We ask that all community members undertaking university travel register their travel itineraries with as much detail as possible within the GardaWorld Travel Security portal.
- To provide an example of its importance, if you are in Mexico when an earthquake strikes, it is important that the information mentioned above is registered. While an advisor or supervisor may know of your travel plans, they may not be aware of the crisis at 2 am on a Saturday morning or that an earthquake even occurred. The International Safety Office and the Travel Support Network monitor the globe for potential travel disruptions and can work to confirm the safety of registered travelers.
To register travel, visit the GardaWorld Travel Security platform or search for “My Travel Plans” in the MyNortheastern portal and log in with your Northeastern email and NU credentials.
- You should also download the mobile app by the same name in your phone’s app store.
- For instructions on how to register and use these services, review the User Guide.
- Please note: As of September 1st, 2020, this mobile app replaces the WorldAware Worldcue app you may have used in the past. You should delete the Worldcue app from your phone.
Review the GardaWorld Travel Security Portal and Mobile Application User Guide for use instructions and benefits!
If you have any questions about the Northeastern Travel Support Network, please reach out to the International Safety Office at firstname.lastname@example.org