In addition to regular staff luncheons and networking opportunities, the Northeastern University Future Leaders (NUFL), in partnership with the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (ODEI), the College of Social Sciences and Humanities (CSSH), and the ADVANCE Office of Faculty Development host a staff mentoring circle pilot program in the 2019-2020 academic year. NUFL Staff Mentoring Circles is a group of staff members who meet together regularly, for ten months, to exchange experiences, challenges, and opportunities for the purpose of enhancing self-confidence, communication skills, leadership practices, and/or commitment to one’s career. Each NUFL Staff Mentoring Circle is composed of 4-6 staff members and a facilitator. The pilot program serves two to three Mentoring Circles.
The Goals of the NUFL Staff Mentoring Circles are to:
- Offer a group mentoring experience for Northeastern staff.
- Develop networks for staff across colleges.
- Provide opportunities for staff to interact with peers around career development strategies.
- Develop mentoring experiences that increase staff job satisfaction and create a meaningful sense of belonging.
- Develop a mentoring model that can be shared with other universities.
Application Process for the NUFL Staff Mentoring Circles for 2019-2020.
Applicants suggest circle topics, i.e. promotion, managerial training and support, professional development opportunities, career development plans, etc. NUFL, through OIDI, CSSH, and ADVANCE review proposals, select discussion topics from those proposed, and set the meeting times. The NUFL Staff Mentoring Circles may be composed of staff at similar levels or multi-level groups.
Annual activities include:
- Kick-off Orientation on August 20, 2019 with the signing of Commitment to Participate form and a reflective goal setting exercise (individual development plan)
- Mid-year Luncheon on January 22, 2020 and sharing of experiences
- Closing Celebration and End of Program Presentation June 4, 2020
- End of Year Program Evaluation survey
Staff participants commit to:
- 2-4 hours a month
- Participation in the monthly NUFL Staff Mentoring Circle meetings
- Participation in the Orientation, Mid-year Luncheon, Closing Celebration, and program evaluation
- Signed agreement stating their commitment to participate and to keeping all information shared in the NUFL Staff Mentoring Circle confidential
- Full participation in the NUFL Staff Mentoring Circle discussions
Thank you for your interest in our staff mentoring circles pilot!
We are no longer accepting applications for the 2019-2020 Mentoring Circles pilot. Please join the mailing list to receive information on additional networking and mentorship opportunities through NUFL.