Teaching and Learning
The Center for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning Through Research (CATLR)
The Center for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning Through Research provides support for faculty to enhance their teaching, course development and/or re-design, and creates venues for interaction and engagement with educators across the Northeastern community. Grounded firmly in the learning sciences, and informed through the scholarship of teaching and learning, our consultation services, programs, and resources support faculty at all stages of their careers.
CATLR provides consultations to support the approach and design of an educational research project in your class or program, connect with an education grant funder’s mission and goals, or improve the broader impacts plan of a larger grant program.
- Faculty workshops and programs
- Faculty teaching consultations and services
- Faculty cohort program opportunities CATLR Faculty Fellows Program
- CATLR Faculty Scholars Program
Teaching and Advising Policies and Procedures
These policies and procedures apply to all members of the Northeastern community who engage in instructional activities.
As a full-featured learning management system, Blackboard includes modules for creating content, working with assignments, giving tests, facilitating online discussions, as well as grading and course management.
While Blackboard provides many features in these areas, we have integrated purpose-specific tools to support a wide variety of teaching and learning activities. You can read more about these tools in this section of the website and find links to supporting documentation to help you get started.
Research and Scholarship
The Division of Research
The Division of Research supports Northeastern’s thriving research enterprise by conducting outreach to funding agencies and corporate and foundation sponsors, and developing partnerships with academic/clinical/industry collaborators that increase the scope and impact of Northeastern University research and graduate education
- The Office of Research Development offers support and assistance to individual faculty members, teams of researchers, and the colleges in promoting Northeastern research, attracting and securing external research funding, bringing interdisciplinary teams together, and developing and implementing other strategies that increase institutional competitiveness. We are committed to delivering comprehensive resources and professional training to help you achieve your research objectives.
Research Institute for Experiential Learning Science
The Research Institute for Experiential Learning Science (RIELS) will bring together an interdisciplinary network of researchers utilizing a mosaic of methodologies to map out the mechanisms underlying the impact that experiential learning has on deep and lasting learning.
At Northeastern, we are committed to conducting all of our endeavors according to the utmost standards of integrity and ethics, and operating in compliance with legal and regulatory requirements and university policies.
- Provost Internal Grants for Interdisciplinary Research
- Provost Full-time Non-tenure Track Faculty Development Fund
- Provost Part-time Faculty Development Fund
- Provost Part-time Faculty Development Fund for Faculty Teaching Online or Non-Boston Based-Courses Only
- CATLR Faculty Fellows Program
- CATLR Faculty Scholars Program
- Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion Do IT! Mini-Grants
- Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion Faculty Innovations in Diversity and Academic Excellence Grant
- ADVANCE Mutual Mentoring Advancement Program for Tenured or Tenure-Track Faculty
- Dissertation Completion Fellowships
- Graduate Thesis/Dissertation Research Grant
- Diversity Fellowship Research Policies
- Office of Undergraduate Research and Fellowships
ADVANCE Office of Faculty Development oversees, creates, and assesses faculty development programs while serving as a resource to interested parties on the Northeastern University campus. The office assists faculty and administrators in accomplishing departmental, college, and university goals with respect to faculty recruitment, retention, mentoring, and advancement.
- Mutual Mentoring Advancement Program (M2AP)
- Mentoring Discussions
- Faculty Writing Groups
- Full-time Nontenure Track Mentoring Circles
- ReDI Leadership Program
Whether you’re dealing with a personal situation or looking for reliable child care, our work-life benefits can provide assistance.
Tenured and Tenure-Track Faculty Leave Policies – Faculty members with questions about accessing policies specific to faculty appointments are welcome to consult with the associate deans with responsibility for faculty affairs in the colleges or with the Senior Vice Provost for Academic Affairs
Human Resources Management (617-373-2230) administers and can provide information on Northeastern’s childcare program, Family and Medical Leave procedures, and other benefits related questions.
The Ombuds Office offers a safe place for Northeastern University faculty and staff to discuss workplace issues and concerns with a professional whose goal it is to ensure that all members of the university community are treated fairly and equitably.
Tenure and Promotion
Tenured and Tenure-Track Faculty Promotion
- Tenure description in Faculty Handbook
- Tenure and Promotion Dossier Preparation Guidelines
- Preparing for the Midcourse (third-or fourth-year) Review Workshop slides
- Preparing for Tenure Review Workshop slides
- Advisory Committee to the Provost on Tenure and Promotion
- Preparing for promotion to Professor
Full-time Nontenure Track Faculty
- Clinical and Academic Specialists
- Non-Tenure Track Full-Time Lecturers
- Professors of the Practice
- Non-Tenure Track Research Faculty
- Faculty Titles
Full-time Non Tenure-Track Faculty Dossier for Promotion
- Faculty Recruiting Process Outline
- Recruitment Application Requirements for Permanent Residency Sponsorship
- Faculty Candidate Curriculum Vitae Cover Sheet
- Guidance for Conducting Interviews
- Faculty Candidate Information to be Used During Interview Process
- ADVANCE Faculty Recruitment Resources
- Future Faculty Fellowship
- STRIDE Faculty Search Committee Workshop on implicit bias in evaluation
- University Faculty Handbook
- University Policies Website