Center for Advancing Teaching and Learning Through Research
As a full-featured learning management system, Canvas is the home base for all Northeastern courses. Training and 24/7 chat and phone support is available at Northeastern’s Canvas website.
ADVANCE Office of Faculty Development
ADVANCE Office of Faculty Development oversees, creates, and assesses faculty development programs while serving as a resource to interested parties on the Northeastern University campus. The office assists faculty and administrators in accomplishing departmental, college, and university goals with respect to faculty recruitment, retention, mentoring, and advancement.
- Mutual Mentoring Advancement Program (M2AP)
- Mentoring Discussions
- Faculty Writing Groups
- Full-time Nontenure Track Mentoring Circles
- ReDI Leadership Program
Whether you’re dealing with a personal situation or looking for reliable child care, our work-life benefits can provide assistance.
Tenured and Tenure-Track Faculty Leave Policies – Faculty members with questions about accessing policies specific to faculty appointments are welcome to consult with the associate deans with responsibility for faculty affairs in the colleges or with the Senior Vice Provost for Academic Affairs
Human Resources can provide information on Northeastern’s childcare program, Family and Medical Leave procedures, and other benefits related questions.
The Ombuds Office offers a safe place for Northeastern University faculty and staff to discuss workplace issues and concerns with a professional whose goal it is to ensure that all members of the university community are treated fairly and equitably.
We are One Northeastern: A Faculty Professional Development Series
October 28, 2021 | Seattle campus save-the-date
March 3, 2022 | Roux Institute save-the-date
Faculty Hiring and Recruitment
- Provost’s Faculty Diversity Recruitment & Retention Forums 2022
- Guidance for Conducting Interviews
- Faculty Candidate Information to be Used During Interview Process
- ADVANCE Faculty Recruitment Resources
- Future Faculty Fellowship
- STRIDE Faculty Search Committee Workshop on implicit bias in evaluation
- University Faculty Handbook
- University Policies Website
- Professional Internal Grants for Transforming Interdisciplinary Experiential Research (TIER)
- Full Time Faculty Professional Development Fund Guidelines
- Part-time Faculty Development Fund Guidelines
- Part-time Faculty Development Fund Guidelines for Faculty Teaching Online or Non-Boston Based-Courses Only
- FTNTT Faculty Fellowship Information
- Full-time Non Tenure-track Faculty (FTNTT) Fellowship Program Guidelines (2022-2023)
- ADVANCE Mutual Mentoring Advancement Program for Tenured or Tenure-Track Faculty
- Part-Time Faculty Contract
- Faculty Agency Fee Form
- Faculty Membership Form
- Collective Bargaining Agreement FAQs
- Part-time Faculty Development Fund
- Part-time Faculty Development Fund for Faculty Teaching Online or Non-Boston Based-Courses Only
Research and Scholarship
The Division of Research
The Division of Research supports Northeastern’s thriving research enterprise by conducting outreach to funding agencies and corporate and foundation sponsors, and developing partnerships with academic/clinical/industry collaborators that increase the scope and impact of Northeastern University research and graduate education
- The Office of Research Development offers support and assistance to individual faculty members, teams of researchers, and the colleges in promoting Northeastern research, attracting and securing external research funding, bringing interdisciplinary teams together, and developing and implementing other strategies that increase institutional competitiveness. We are committed to delivering comprehensive resources and professional training to help you achieve your research objectives.
At Northeastern, we are committed to conducting all of our endeavors according to the utmost standards of integrity and ethics, and operating in compliance with legal and regulatory requirements and university policies.
Series on Coping with Covid-19
Series Schedule, Resources, and Recordings
- Recording: 2/18/2021, Coping with Stresses and Challenges
- Recording: 2/25/2021, University Resources and Available Assistance
- Recording: 3/4/2021, Healthy Body, Healthy Mind: Eating, Sleeping, and Exercise
- Recording: 3/11/2021, Healthy Body, Healthy Mind: Yoga and Movement
- Recording: 3/18/2021, Healthy Body, Healthy Mind: Mindfulness and Meditation
- Recording: 3/25/2021, Coping with Social Isolation
- Recording: 4/1/2021, Burnout and How to Avoid it
- Recording: 4/8/2021, Zoom Fatigue
- Recording: 4/15/2021, Review and Wrap-up
Teaching and Learning
The Center for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning Through Research (CATLR)
The Center for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning Through Research provides support for faculty to enhance their teaching, course development and/or re-design, and creates venues for interaction and engagement with educators across the Northeastern community. Grounded firmly in the learning sciences, and informed through the scholarship of teaching and learning, our consultation services, programs, and resources support faculty at all stages of their careers.
CATLR provides consultations to support the approach and design of an educational research project in your class or program, connect with an education grant funder’s mission and goals, or improve the broader impacts plan of a larger grant program.
Tenure and Promotion
Tenured and Tenure-Track Faculty Promotion
- Tenure Description in Faculty Handbook
- Preparation and Format of Tenure and/or Full Professor Promotion Dossiers (“Model T&P Dossier”) updated March 1, 2023
- Preparing for the Midcourse (Third-or Fourth-year) Review Workshop slides. Watch the Recorded Session.
- Preparing for Tenure Review Process Workshop slides. Watch the Recorded Session.
- Preparing for Promotion to Full Professor Workshop slides. Watch the 2020 Recorded Session.
Full-time Non-tenure Track Faculty
Full-time Non Tenure-Track Faculty Dossier for Promotion
- Preparing for Promotion for Full-Time Non-Tenure-Track Faculty Workshop slides. Watch the Recorded Session.
- Preparation and Format of Full-Time Non Tenure-Track Faculty Promotion Dossiers (“Model Promotion Dossier”)
- Preparation and Format of Cooperative Education Coordinators Promotion Dossiers
- Preparation and Format of Research Faculty Model Promotion Dossiers
The TRACE survey asks students to rate their satisfaction with the course and the instructor on a number of dimensions.
You can view the standard TRACE survey questions and policy here
Announcement about Redesigned Exchange Visitor Program Process
- EVP Visitor Proposal and Routing Process Form (update 2/24/2022)
- Paid Visiting Scholar/Faculty Letter Template
- Unpaid Visiting Scholar/Faculty Letter Template
- Paid Visiting Student Letter Template
- Unpaid Visiting Student Letter Template
- Extension Paid Visiting Scholar Letter Template